Tuesday 18 September 2012

The house and diary of the Anne Frank, Amsterdam

This house and museum must be one of the most visited places of Amsterdam. It tells you about the live of Anne Frank and her family during the Second World War when they were hiding for the Nazis. After seven years of happiness in Amsterdam, the family had to hide in the back house of a jam factory. The back house was only accessible via a door hidden behind a book cabinet. The family lived there for 4 years. During this time Anne wrote her world famous diary.

In August 1944, she and her family got arrested by the Nazis after someone had betrayed them. They were deported to Auschwitz and later to the camp in Bergen Belsen. Just before the end of the war in March 1945, Anne is murdered at the age of 15. Walking through the house and reading extracts from her diary is very emotional but should not be skipped when you visit Amsterdam. There is also an app available on places Anne liked in Amsterdam, it is called Anne’s Amsterdam.

In the house, it was not allowed to take pictures so my photos are all from the exterior. I added however two public pictures from the internet with reference to the original site.

Dit huis en museum moet één van de meest bezochte plaatsen zijn van Amsterdam. Het vertelt het verhaal over het leven van Anne Frank en haar familie in hun schuilplaats gedurende de Tweede Wereldoorlog. Na zeven jaren geluk in Amsterdam moest de familie zich verbergen in het achterhuis van een confituurfabriek. De schuilplaats was enkel toegankelijk via een verborgen doorgang achter een boekenkast. Ze woonden hier 4 jaar en over deze tijd schreef Anne haar wereldberoemde dagboek. 

 In augustus 1944 werd zij samen met haar familie gearresteerd door de Nazis. Iemand had hen verraden. Ze werden gedeporteerd naar Auschwitz en later naar het concentratiekamp in Bergen Belsen. Juist voor het einde van de oorlog in maart 1945, werd Anne Frank vermoord, ze was 15 jaar oud. Het huis bezoeken is zeer emotioneel, er worden stukken uit haar dagboek beschreven en voorgelezen. Iedereen die Amsterdam bezoekt moet overwegen naar het huis te gaan. Er is ook een app beschikbaar van plaatsen dat Anne leuk vond in Amsterdam, het noemt Anne’s Amsterdam. 

In het huis mocht je geen foto’s nemen dus mijn foto’s zijn enkel van de buitenzijde. Ik heb echter twee foto’s toegevoegd van op het internet met referentie naar de originele site.. 

Anne Frank Huis

Anne Frank Huis

Anne Frank Huis

Anne Frank Huis

Anne Frank Huis
http://www.sacred-destinations.com/netherlands/amsterdam-anne-frank-house-pictures/slides/bookcase-cc-lydia-mann.htm

Anne Frank Huis
http://watisertoengebeurd.nl/?page_id=771

Previous Amsterdam article: Look behind you, it is worth it, Central Station of Amsterdam

Previous Museum article: Views of the Hermitage Museum from across the Neva River, St. Petersburg

Return to main page

15 comments:

  1. This just HAD to be such a moving experience to visit here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read her diary when I was a young girl and was very touched by it. When I was in Amsterdam I did not feel like visiting the museum. I was so cheerful and happy there - it just did not feel right. Still your post is about not forgetting these people which I think is more important than ever. Christa

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'k Was er héél lang geleden, Filip... Beklijvend...
    Lie(f)s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had the chance to go there yet, but my daughter was there, and it's one thing to read about it, and watch the movie, or read the book, but to actually stand there and feel the realness of it all...was quite emotional, for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read her diary and am currently another book about her and her family. Your post is beautiful and touches me deeply. It must be amazing to visit the Anne Frank House.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to visit this house, thanks for sharing, you prepared a great article here!
    Hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Veel over gehoord en gelezen maar het huis nog niet gezien. Heel tof jullie foto's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Her diary made such an impact on me when it just ended. You knew what happened but it still struck me profoundly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jullie verhaal in woord en beeld is prachtig samengesteld.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with kathy. It must have been a moving experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember reading the book many decades ago and it is still very fresh in my memory. I would like to visit here someday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to read The Diary of Anne Frank at school. It was very moving! What an experience to visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read Anne's diary when I was about the same age as she was when she was killed. It was the first time the horrors of war really meant something to me. I'd love to see her house - I hope wherever she is, she knows how much her story has inspired people.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have read her book, and this is very meaningful to see these photos

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.